Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Who are 3 ghly rated mechanics in my area (zip code 80127)

Customer Question

Who are 3 highly rated mechanics in my area (zip code 80127) that can be trusted to install a new engine which I'm importing from Japan for my 1995 3000 GT VR-4?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
First, is this a straight swap - being the engine you are importing is USA spec'd and is obd1 like your original is, or is it a jdm and will need some customization on the wiring
makes a difference as to what type of shop and mechanic you need
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
jdm...where do i get an odi?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
obd1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.texasjdmengines.com/catalog/product/view/id/235/s/mitsubishi-3000gt-stealth-twin-turbo-dohc-v6-3-0l-6g72tt-93-99-engine/category/73/
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
1995 and earlier are obd1 computer systems and 1996 and newer or obd2.
Looking at the link, it shows the engine is 93.5 to 99, but there are a few differences between the obd1 and obd2 as far as connectors are concerned, so you need to find out from them if the one they are sending is obd1 or obd2.
This will make a difference on any custom wiring needed.
I will check in the morning on the 3 best qualified to handle the swap and possible wiring work needed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Eric, looking forward to it.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Had a buddy with Shortline Mitsubishi in Aurora that retired a couple of years ago and emailed him to see if there was anyone there still that he would recommend. Just waiting to hear back from him.
Will post as soon as I do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
no problem. As soon as I hear from him, I will post. He usually does some horse trail riding this time of the year, so it may be tonight
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Finally heard back and his answer was no one he knows. I have looked into more possiblities and have not found anyone with this type of specialization that I would recommend
I am going to opt out and see if anyone else here may know of some great techs that specialize in the 3000gt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you. ***** be notified when someone else from JA picks up this?