Lou P.
Lou P., Technician
Experience:  I currently own a 1969 and 1972 CAMARO and have 15+ years of training and knowledge!!!!
27644750

I have a 1974 grand prix that I need to know how to hook up

Customer Question

i have a 1974 grand prix that I need to know how to hook up the fuel gage. I need to know which wires go to it.there are 3 wires what do they do and where do they go?? I think I have the right three should be tan green and yellow I think... this is a restoration job dash was out when I got it.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. The tan wire should be the wire from the sender. You will have to ohm that to ground and move the sender or shake the car to make sure the resistance changed. If it does then you have the correct wire. Next test the other two wires. One should be ground and the other should be battery power.

As for the position on the guage threads , look at the back of the guage. You should have three studs. A left , a lower middle and a right. sender goes on the left. Ground goes on the lower middle. And power goes on the right. And again this is while you are looking at the back of the guage. Let me know if this helps. Lou

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Also here is a link that I recommend everyone to use for old gm fuel gauges. Hope this information helps.