Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

My 1972 Chevy c10 has a light problem. When I turn the

Customer Question

My 1972 Chevy c10 has a light problem. When I turn the lights on the front lights work and front side marker lights work but none of the rear lights work or rear side markers. Also no reverse lights and blinkers won't work. But if I put the blinker on with the lights all the lights work.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.

Inspect the wiring running to the rear lights especially if you have any trailer wiring installed for any wiring shorts or wiring damage as this will cause an issue like this here.If any issues are found with any of the wiring this will need to be repaired to correct this fault here.Usually you will find corroded or damaged wiring at the rear of the vehicles near the lights.

If this is all checked or was already checked and found o.k. let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to write that in. I have been under the truck and have traced the wires from the fire wall of the truck along the frame all the way to the tail lights and side marker lights and everything looks fine. As well the lights are getting very little energy. I put a wire tester in each of the light sockets and it will very faintly light up. But when I buy the bulb back in its not enough to light up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As for the truck it's a 1972 c10 cus***** ***** bed, with ac. 2wd automatic, with a 350 v8
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Have you inspected wiring under the dash from the light switch and steering column at all for any damage needing repaired?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tore the dash completely out and replaced the light switch and turn signal switch and as I Had everything apart I traced the wires from light switch to firewall and all the wires were good. On my other 1971 Chevy we had a problem kind off me this one and I replaced the floor dimmer switch and it fixed them but I tried that with this truck and nothing.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

With my info being limited on this as it is an older model and the diagrams are difficult to locate and you have checked and made sure all wiring is o.k. as well as replaced the light and turn signal switch and no issues were found this may be a poor ground issue.Check and make sure the ground wiring from the battery to where it runs and leads to the engine and body is all o.k.I have seen poor ground connections cause issues like this before needing corrected to resolve this fault here.