Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a 1973 Eldorado convertible. Had the top replaced and

Customer Question

I have a 1973 Eldorado convertible. Had the top replaced and frame redone 15 years ago and it has always worked pretty well. I probably have only opened and closed it about 30 times over the years. I usually leave it down and tucked in under the parade boot. Now it opens very easily but when I want to put it back up it goes up about a third of the way and starts struggling and usually stops and I have to pull it up for a few feet. What could be causing this. Its a pain to have to get in the back seat and pull it up as I need someone else to hold the up button.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This can be due to a fault with the motor that operates the top itself as I have seen several of these become weak over time and usually when it is trying to lift the top it is struggling the most and can cause this fault here.If you see no components that are binding or catching and it opens properly I suspect this is the case here on your model and the lifting motor may need replaced.

Thanks Pete