Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  ..................
14892859

I have a 1979 Firebird. Not driven that much. It likes to

Customer Question

I have a 1979 Firebird. Not driven that much. It likes to hesitate and stall out when I give it the gas.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Hesitation and stalling out can be from several things. Most often, old gas is the majority of the problem. As gasoline sits in the tank, it loses its ability to burn properly when ignited by the spark plugs. If you have old gas in the car, I would recommend you have it removed and fresh gas out in. If your gas is good, the carb is the next place to look at. There are things in the carb that can get gummed up by old gas, and age. Speaking of age, there are several critical vacuum lines on this engine that need to be intact/no leaks. a vacuum leak form a cracked hose will compromise the acceleration and will cause it to stall out. The recommendation I have for you on this request would be to remove and put fresh gas into the car if the current gas is 3 months or older. Look for cracked rubber vacuum lines; replace anything that is cracked, broken, dry-rotted, etc. Any vacuum leak via a rubber hose will cause problems. Lastly, a good carb overhaul and a tuneup may be the needed repair.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer