jazzmaster
jazzmaster, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

I have a 1965 Plymouth Fury wagon with a 360 V8. I pulled

Customer Question

I have a 1965 Plymouth Fury wagon with a 360 V8. I pulled the motor out of a running and driving 1972 Winnebago. I replaced the intake manifold, carburetor and ignition system. Now it will run well but it smokes and will foul up spark plugs.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

hi, are the plugs getting gas fouled or oil fouled ?

did you change the intake so that you could have a 4 bbl because the original intake from the winnebago was a two bbl ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gas fouled. They're not shiny or oily, they look covered in soot. And yes, I replaced the 2 barrel intake and carb for the added performance
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

ok, I don't have the specs in front of me but do you know if the plugs are gaped the same for the 65 and the 72 ? also, does this have points in it or was it switched to an electronic ignition >?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I have them gapped at .045, which I think is the spec for the 72. It had points and I switched it over to electronic ignition
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

what do you have the timing set at ?

when a point system is changed to electronic the timing is different

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't put a timing light on it, I just adjusted it back and forth until it ran well, and it has a vacuum advance that I have run a hose to the port on the left side of the carb
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

the timing I know for the 65 with points is 10 before TDC

and the vacuum should be direct -that is there should be vacuum at that hose at idle .

even though it runs good as you say ,spray carb cleaner at the intake to check for vacuum leaks .

I would think that if the timing is too far advanced that would also, create a rich issue but a vacuum leak will

have you adjusted the air/gas mixture screws on the carb ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll check the timing with a light tomorrow, and spray the base of the carb.. I have adjusted the screws, when I open them up enough, it'll run smooth but there's lots of smoke coming out of the back.. But when I turn the screws far enough in, there's almost no smoke, but it will run with a stumble and rougher idle
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

ok, the air/gas mixture screws are adjusted using a tach/rpm meter .

each screw should be turned in untio the rpms drop then turned out 1/4 turn until the highest rpms can be achieved

If you see gas dribbling out the jets inside the carb then the issue is the carb .

and a vacuum or gasket issue will show low or unsteady vacuum readings.

the end result is if just adjusting the mixture screws and you can get it to smoke or not smoke that way ,then I would think a carb problem ..jazzmaster ..

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

hi, just checking back to see if you still need assistance ?...jazzmaster ..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually have a new carburetor
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

sorry I was working .so the carb that is on is new and you are still having issues ?

can you see gas dribbling out the jets in the carb at idle ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't see gas dribbling out of the jets at idle
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

ok, did you set the timing and what did you set it at ?

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

when you checked with a vacuum gauge (I know you said it was in the green) but what was the actual reading (inches) and did you spray around the intake as well ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It reads at 20 inches, and yes, I sprayed around the carb base and intake
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

did you recheck the timing ?

did you rejet this because of the fouling of the plugs ..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the initial timing is at around 3 btdc, is that OK? And yes I rejetted it because it was running rich
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

the timing should be around 8-10 btdc base timing before the vacuum hose is connected .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I've got it at 10 degrees btdc initial timing and I cleaned up the plugs and it still runs rich. When I rev it, the timing goes farther btdc, is that right?
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

it's retarding the timing ,I have seen that many times but let me ask you ..

what kind of intake do you have on there ?

the intake and carb may be too much for the motor if there was nothing done to the motor .

you said the motor ran great before you put the intake and carb .

do you have direct or ported vacuum to the dist ?