Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  ..................
14892859

I have a 1977 280Z which I had a new engine block installed

Customer Question

I have a 1977 280Z which I had a new engine block installed in 1991. Recently I started having an issue of the engine losing power as if it were to stall or like it wasn't getting enough gas. By backing off the gas pedal it would clear up. Initially this would happen a few minutes after starting the car and driving. My mechanic has replaced the fuel regulator which only temporarily solved the issue. They then replaced the cold start injector and recommended I wait 8 to 10 min before driving the car. This also didn't resolve the problem. Any suggestions on what the issue is?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. What you probably have is a faulty coolant temperature sensor. If it is reading incorrectly, it will reduce the pulse duration of the injectors. Additionally, these engines are notorious for vacuum line issues. If you have any leaking, cracked or poorly fitting lines you will get all kinds of problems. Look very close at the big tube between the air flow meter and the throttle body. Lastly, I would look very closely at the bolts that hold the intake manifold to the head. I have seen a lot of Z's that have had the heads of the bolts break off. This will cause a leak at the intake. This will give you too much air in the cylinders and mimic a fuel starvation issue. Please look at the items I have described; hopefully my suggestions will sort the issue out for you. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. A positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

One more thing I just remembered. Many years ago I had a Z with a fuel starvation problem. Try driving this car with the gas cap off. See if the problem ceases. If so, replace the cap. Try this before anything else.

One more thing that just popped into my mind....this might be your problem. A few years ago I had a Z with fuel issues. Turns out the pickup tube in the tank had a crack in it. If the cap and the other suggestions do not help, you might want to drop the tank and check the fuel pickup tube for crisis. Also check the pickup tube for debris on the fuel "sock" at the end of the pickup tube.