Lou P.
Lou P., Technician
Experience:  I currently own a 1969 and 1972 CAMARO and have 15+ years of training and knowledge!!!!
27644750

I am hearing a clicking sound from the engine but sound seem

Customer Question

I am hearing a clicking sound from the engine but sound seem to be exhaust related.
It disappears at mild acceleration but a loud rattle starts when heavier acceleration.
It is a 1970 455 CI olds engine in a 442.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less. From what you describe it sounds like a manifold leak. Have you checked for black sooty marks near the manifold ? What type exhaust do you have ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No marks present but sound just started yesterday.
Stock factory exhaust for a 1970 olds 442
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Exhaust leak CAN sound like metal tapping for sure. What I use is a stethoscope type tool. It's the same as if you put a small hose in your ear and used the other end to track down where it is loudest. Or feel for air rushing out. What kind of info do you seek ? I'm not sure what you are actually asking for my help with ?