George H.
George H., Technician
Experience:  Old enough to have worked on them when they were new
13574682

401 Buick engine completely rebuilt installed new starter

Customer Question

401 Buick engine completely rebuilt installed new starter starter won't disengage tested starter tested good checked key switch that's fine also tested wiring purple wire on selonoid has power when key is in start pos and looses power when key goes into run pos but starter keeps cranking
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
The starter keeps cranking due to the pinion gear hanging up on the teeth of the flywheel. You need to shim the starter so you can get a 3/32 piece of wire between the tip of the teeth on the pinion gear and the flywheel gear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVHXmWMKzq4
Copy and paste that link into a new browser tab and let me know if that works.
As long as the pinion gear is held out the starter will run as that closes the contact from the battery cable to the starter motor. All the voltage on the small wire does when you have the key in the start position is cause the solenoid to push the pinion gear out, once it is fully extended then that contact is made to spin the motor.
Please let me know if you have further questions
Thank you
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
It looks like the additional services offer was sent to you by mistake, please decline the offer and we can continue here if you have further questions
Thank you