Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

76 Cadillac, second owner (34k miles) recent purchase, tried

Customer Question

76 Cadillac, second owner (34k miles) recent purchase, tried the 8 track with a used cartridge, which it plays perfectly. It changes selection when asked to do so, but I cannot get it to release the cartridge when I pull the release knob. It continues to play.
If the only solution is to remove the radio and take it to a 'professional', then I can do that and I don't want to pay $35 to hear that information. I have been pulling wrenches on old cars for many years and can certainly to just about anything myself, but I do want to know if there's a way to release the cassette without damaging the radio.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
Without taking it out and in to a professional for inspection and repair about the only thing you can do yourself is to remove the 8 track and try and disassemble it yourself and see if you can locate the fault that is causing this here.In some cases it may be linkage that needs attached again for this issue.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, I stated that I didn't want someone to tell me the obvious: that I should remove the radio and take it to a repair shop. I wanted someone with some knowledge of 8 track technology to say something like this: Oh, I know what the problem is, there's a broken spring, or the solenoid that activates the cassette discharge is not working, or the cassette is defective and not responding to the eject signal or.... But it was obvious that you and the others who didn't reply had no knowledge of an 8 track player because you're all too young to know what that is. I hoped to find an older mechanic with experience on '70/80s cars and their sound systems. What I got was you - parachuting into the obvious answer for any mechanic when he has no answer - take it out and take it to someone who can fix it. Should you get paid to type a few lines? No.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize my answer didn't help with what you were looking for here.I saw no one had responded and thought I would try and help in some way on this.I will open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.
Thanks Pete