Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

I have a 1954 Chevy Suburban with an upgraded (HEI) ignition

Customer Question

I have a 1954 Chevy Suburban with an upgraded (HEI) ignition system. At the moment I cannot get the engine to start, it will turn over but not fire. It is getting fuel and the fuel pressure is what it should be. The problem is that I am not getting a spark from the coil to the distributor but I bench tested the coil and it tests OK . I have replaced the coil and the distributor trying to correct the problem. What could I be missing?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background,and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time. Have you checked to make sure the distributor is rotating. I would also check for power at the large power wire into the distributor when the engine was cranking. I would also check the engines compression. If the timing chain has jumped time, the compression will be low. Check this out Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.