K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  AA in Auto Tech, Classic car restorer and enthusiast
68360881

Volkswagen beetle: I just bought a dune buggy its a beetle

Customer Question

I just bought a dune buggy its a 69 beetle everything stock will only run with choke on
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, does it just idle with choke on or will it run and drive that way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Runs about half throttle soon as I take choke off it slows down and shuts off if I keep throttle up itstays running
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** to do is check for vacuum leaks. There should be some rubber boots going from the intake to the heads, spray around those with some carb cleaner and see if the engine speed changes. If it does you've found the vacuum leak. A couple of other spots to check for vacuum leaks are at the base of the carb, at the throttle shaft bushings on the carb and anywhere else in the intake where there are gaskets. If you don't find any vacuum leaks you'll need to pull the carb apart and rebuild it as the idle circuit may have some debris in it casuing it to run lean which would result in it running with the choke on. Let me know what you find and we can work further if needed.