Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Fiat 124 Spider: 1978 Fiat Alternator. Installed a rebuilt

Customer Question

1978 Fiat Alternator. Installed a rebuilt alternator. However the plastic connector that connects 2 wires to alternator broke and fell off. Now the 2 wire are separated. Do not know which goes where. 1 wire goes to charging lamp on dash. 2nd wire runs from battery cable connection on starter to alternator. 2 terminals on back of alternator are 0+ and + marked near each. Does it make a difference which goes where without smoking alternator?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background,and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time. Do you have the two ring terminals that go on a stud, and one plug in terminal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 1 (one) ring terminal. This appears to go on a stud and is a grounding? terminal. A brown and white heavier wire. I have 1 plug on terminal that goes to the battery connection on the starter? I have a plug on terminal that goes to the charging light on the dash.
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell if it is a Marelli, or a Bosch alternator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can not. I purchased a rebuilt from Advance Auto. The original tag is gone. It does have an internal regulator. I can;t use the phone as I use hearing aids. After cancer surgery nothing is the same
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
I worked on a lot of these a few decades back when they were on the road a lot, I dont see too many of them any more. We need to figure out what alternator you have. It was real popular to upgrade the factory alternator, that can cause confusion if the wiring isnt factory. Click on the link HERE, and tell me which one of these you have. I am thinking you have the 15036 type in the center. If so it should have the large battery terminal, then a D+ and a + terminal. The + terminal goes to a noise filtering capacitor, the D+ goes to the dash charging light, it should be a black and violet wire. Then from the large large battery terminal one wire goes to the starter, and the other branches off to the fuse box to supply power. Both of those wires should be black.