Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.
1609972

Chevrolet Chevelle SS: I have a 1965 Chevelle SS. The door

Customer Question

I have a 1965 Chevelle SS. The door windows were removed when I purchased the car because the owner had purchased new glass but did not install the new glass. My problem, I cannot find any diagrams on how to put the window hardware bacK on the window. I know I have all the pieces but they are in a box. Thw glass has three holes along the bottom edge of the glass. I need a detailed diagram, picture, or detailed directions on how to rebuild these windows. I would prefer a drawing and/or diagram but at this point I will take anything so I can successfully finish my doors. Thanks for your help.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the delay.............Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (aka MOLurch) and I look forward to helping you!”.click Attachment belowHere is Chevrolet procedures & picture is in AttachmentCoupe1. Remove the door panel. For more information, refer to the procedure earlier in this section. 2. Remove the armrest, the trim panel(s), the insulator pad (if equipped), and the inner panel water deflector. 3. With the glass in the half raised position, mark the location of the mounting screws, then remove the following components:A. The front belt stabilizer and trim retainer. B. The rear belt stabilizer pin assembly. C. The front up-travel stop (on the inner panel). D. The rear up-travel stop (on the inner panel). 4. Remove the vertical guide upper and lower screws, then disengage the guide assembly from the roller and lay in the bottom of the door. 5. Position the glass to expose the lower sash channel cam nuts, then remove the nuts through the inner panel access hole. 6. While supporting the glass, separate it from the lower sash channel cam. 7. To remove the glass, perform the following procedures:A. Raise the glass slowly and slide it rearward. B. Tilt the top of the glass inboard until the front up-stop roller clears the front loading hole at the inner panel bolt reinforcement. C. Rotate the glass rearward 45 degrees, then raise it slowly to clear the glass attaching screws through the belt loading holes. To install:8. Carefully lower the glass into position and connect it to the lower sash channel cam. 9. Install the sash channel cam nuts and tighten to 90-125 inch lbs. (10-14 Nm). 10. Engage the guide assembly to the roller, then install the vertical guide upper and lower screws. 11. Install the travel stops on the inner panel, then install the rear belt stabilizer pin and/or the front belt stabilizer and trim retainer. 12. Check and adjust the glass installation, as necessary. 13. Install the inner panel water deflector, insulator pad (if equipped), the trim panel(s) and the armrest. 14. Install the door panel. .IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.. Please take a moment to rate my service so that I can get credit for my time.NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed..Rating is very Important to our Service..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Don- your response time was more than adequate. Thanks! However, the hardware in the diagram is nothing like the items I have. I was told the system on the 65 was a one year use. My glass has three holes on the bottom and the bottom edge of the glass is straight across. No curves or angles. It has a small strip, of polished stainless that attaches to one flat piece with three holes in it and another flat piece that I assume mounts on one side. There are nuts and bolts that bolt, the sides together and a triangular heavy piece of steel that bolts on to one of the sides and travels through the felt channel (I think!)there is also rubbers pieces that fit between the pieces and rubber pieces with finished edges. In other words, a bunch of stuff that I have no idea how they are put together. I guess I could cut pieces of Saran Wrap and tape them to the opening. Lol yup, I frustrated and usually don't get this way but I have never seen it together so I am at a big disadvantage. Hope you can help.
I understand........The Diagram is generic from GM, but the hardware & instructions should be close, as their instructions cover a number of different styles for 1965.Let me go find my other manuals & will post back as soon as I can.
.
must have lent it out, as I have not found it......
will opt out at this point & see if someone else has more info
If I find it will print / scan copy