K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  AA in Auto Tech, Classic car restorer and enthusiast
68360881

2015 triumph t214 bonneville: i have a 2015 t214 that had zero

Customer Question

i have a 2015 t214 that had zero miles as i picked it up in pouring rain. when it dried up a few days later i tried to ride it,however when it fired it was acting like it was only running on one cylinder. returned unit to the dealer 2 days later they advised me they couldnt figure out what was wrong,it also had oil leak in variouse parts thy could not detect either. they replaced the bike and i rode this one home 22 miles at abt 20 miles it started running rough like the first one then it seemed to clear up ,so i thought. 2 days later i tried to ride it it also would not run correctliy i tried keeping in running about 1/2 mile hoping it would clean up and run,that didnt hapen the right muffler became so hot when i shut it off in my driveway the muffler was cherry red and the paint on the bracket flacked off.the muffler turned blue and yellow because of the intense heat.now the dealer is telling me they think it is the ecm. but its back ordered so i still dont know if thats the problem.my concern is if that ecm fixes the problem what might have happened to other componets in the engine ,and will it be alright$#
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, the red pipe and bad running on that cylinder was due to a very lean air/fuel mixture. This can very often cause valve seat issues as well as burnt valves, cylinder head warpage a even holes to burn in the piston.
If it were me I would negotiate a new bike. If they insist on fixing it and not giving you another bike be sure to keep all service records and contact triumph directly as they may extend a longer warranty period to you.