K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  AA in Auto Tech, Classic car restorer and enthusiast
68360881

I have overhauld a 51 ford flathead v-8. I want to start it

Customer Question

I have overhauld a 51 ford flathead v-8. I want to start it for the 1st time. Is there a proceedure to pre oil or pump oil thru the block prior to starting? The engine is together heads, intake, etc
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, on these engine since the oil pump is driven by the cam you have to options. 1. You can use a pre lube tool such as this one http://www.etoolcart.com/Kent-Moore-Engine-Preluber-Kit-J-45299.aspx2. Do it the old fashioned way which works just fine if the engine was assembled using an assembly lube. The procedure is to remove the spark plugs, disconnect the ignition coil and the fuel line to your fuel pump and hold the carb throttle plate wide open with a piece of wire. Squirt a little oil down each spark plug hole and crank the engine for about 10 seconds with about 20 seconds between each cranking period. Watch your pressure gauge and when you see pressure, You're ready to fire it up.