Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

65 chev p/u: '65 chevy p/u, 350 eng, th400

Customer Question

'65 chevy p/u, 350 eng, th400 trans. turn key to start. Eng turns and momentarily runs and will not stay running. replaced ign switch but same problem. no timing problem-no backfire. any help? E-mail XXXXXXXXXXXX. Thanks
Category: Classic Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mo Lurch, trk was running well 2 days ago, nothing done to it recently, will stay running if key is held to crank up. however, I can hear the sound of bendix/starter motor engaging the flex plate. does not sound good at all. ***@******.***
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
reference acct #87703667 order #15424997-150, request for help sent in 7-6-15 7:30pm.still waiting. send me your customer ph # ***** call me(###) ###-####and leave your ph #. need to find out when I should be expecting your answer.e-mail me***@******.***. please answer soon. thanks
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the wait. I will try and help you.
It sounds like the resistor wire from the ignition switch to the + side of the coil is either not hooked up or is broken.
How this works is when the key is in the start position, the coil gets full battery voltage from the "R" terminal on the starter solenoid to help start it easier, then once the key is returned to the "run" position, the coil gets reduced voltage through a resistor wire that comes from the ign switch. The reduced voltage is to prevent the points in the distributor from burning up....so....
Are there 2 wires connected to the + side of the coil?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
virtual wrench, thanks for the response. I am back to work and the earliest time I can check on this is Thursday. I waited for the so called 10 minute response but did not get it. my opportunity to check on this is over. now its Thursday. all I wanted to know when was my answer coming so that I could go to bed that night. as it turned out, I waited until 11pm even after asking for a possible time frame for the answer. again, thanks. no more dealings with just answer.
I do apologize sir. I had just came online and seen you were waiting and wanted to help. I understand.
Larry