Roy Belding
Roy Belding, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  Grew up with most of the 50,60 and 70 high performance cars
3506196

Chevrolet Corvette: I'm looking at a 1970 Corvette online.

Customer Question

I'm looking at a 1970 Corvette online. The seller has provided plenty of photos, including the undercarriage. I'm trying to estimate repair costs for a leaking rear main seal, and replacing all of the suspension bushings, and the drive shaft and half shaft u-joints. Can you give me an idea of the costs of these repairs from a shop specializing in Corvettes?
Thanks
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 1 year ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist
the rear main seal is about 8 hours in labor. the seal is about 20 plus oil and filter. the only issue may be if the seal failed from a bad rear main bearing being worn out. that would require replacing the main bearing. that cost would be 500-700
the u joints on the axle shafts are 6 hours per side in labor plus the joints which can run up to 35-40 per joint
rebuilding the front end bushings will be costly. I would plan on 8 to 10 hours per side plus parts.
drive shaft u joints are about 30 for each, they have 2, and 2 hours in labor.
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** read that a rear main leak can be caused my any number of problems, so I'm a little scared of this car. Thanks for the detailed answer... that's a big help in making my decision.

yep, you will spending a lot of money. 70 is a good year to have and is growing in value but there is a point to the amount of repairs versus buting price.
Roy
please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way we get paid for our efforts
Roy