Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

MG replica roadster: 1952 MG TD replica with 1980 fiberglass

Customer Question

1952 MG TD replica with 1980 fiberglass body and 1979 Chevy engine & chassis...could the seat be moved back several inches? I'm a tall fellow with a bit of girth about me. I'm thinking about buying it but can't fit behind the steering wheel. How much would a job like that cost?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I ama professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background,and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keepin mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free toadd any additional info at any time. Do you know what company made the replica kit. Who made the kit, and the exact setup would determine if this modification would be a small or a huge undertaking. If the frame or rear axle isn’t in the way it should be fairly straight forward. Normally a modification like this is about $800 to 900 worth of fiber glass work, $200 to 300 welding, plus upholstery work if needed. Prices vary drastically depending on what shop you get the work performed at, and where you are located. I would say the low end would be $1200, it could run higher. I would have it looked by a pro before you buy it to make sure the modification could be done. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer. I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.