Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  ..................
14892859

Toyota pu: I have a 1978 Toyota pickup with a "Charge" light

Customer Question

I have a 1978 Toyota pickup with a "Charge" light on.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This condition is one of two things: 1) The alternator is outputting the proper voltage, but the voltage regulator has a failed diode that is backfeeding power into the light, or there is a short in the voltage regulator.2) There is another diode in this circuit buried inside the fuse panel.. Personally, if this vehicle was in my shop, I would recommend replacement of the alternator. This is the only way to check the voltage regulator, as it is rare to find a good alternator shop these days. If the replacement alternator does not fix the problem, you are probably going to need to remove the fuse panel under the dash and fit a replacement one in. Most likely, all you have is a bad alternator (better put, the part inside the alternator that turns on the light) If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer