Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Lotus elan + 2: have compression fuel and spark wont start

Customer Question

have compression fuel and spark wont start
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.
With compression it is very likely the cam timing on both cams is good. I would look at the ignition timing. Also check the plugs for a dark deposit. Even if the plugs are new, they can get the black coating on them in a matter of minutes of trying to start. This deposit keeps from the spark from jumping the gap. If you have fuel to the engine make sure if getting into the engine. Priming it is a good way to see if it is starving for fuel. One other thing is timing lights work when you crank an engine, so you can check the ignition timing even if the engine wont start. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.
I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.