Joseph Book
Joseph Book, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diesel Technician and classic car builder
61485557

I have a '73 Buick Centurion convertible. Top stopped operating

Customer Question

I have a '73 Buick Centurion convertible. Top stopped operating mid-close. Switch still "clicks" but top doesn't operate. Circuit breaker? Stripped gears?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Joseph Book replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, first thing lets eliminate electrical issues. Do have have an extra headlight handy, I tend to use a headlight and attach to wires to it, remove the connector to the motor attach the wires to each the terminals. Flip the switch, if the light bulb lights up then we know the circuitry is good, the motor is probably at fault.
Are you still in need of assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Sounds like a good idea, but I don't have an extra headlight. Actually, I don't know much about cars, but since this is an older car without a lot of electronics/computer chips, I thought I'd take a crack at it. My father bought this car new, but it has been sitting for a long time - maybe wiring has rotted? Car starts up fine, but the power roof mechanism just stopped working, mid-close, without any warning. Does that sound more like a motor issue or wiring gone bad? I read somewhere that the motor has an automatic shutoff that will reset itself after a period of time, but so far it hasn't done that. Thoughts?
To me it sounds like a the motor, that auto rest should reset with in a matter of minutes. The reason why we use a light bulb such as a headlight is it checks the circuit to eliminate a wiring issue if it can light a bulb it can power a motor.
Based on what you have said the motor to me could be the culprit