Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Mercedes 220c conv: I OWN A 220S 1959 MERCEDES.THERE IS NO

Customer Question

I OWN A 220S 1959 MERCEDES.THERE IS NO GAS TO THE CARBS.I INSTALLED A NEW FUEL PUMP.THE CAR STILL WONT START..i POURED GAS INTO THE CARBS AND IT WILL START FOR A MOMENT BUT THEN STALLS. APARENTLY NO GAS IS GETTING TO THE CARBS..THE GAS TANK IS 3\4 FULL.I POURED GAS INTO THE CARBS 5 TIMES ,SAME RESPONSE.CAN YOU HELP ME?----PAUL MOROS
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.
Paul I haven't see one of these in years, they are great cars. Is this is the C model and not the injected CS model? If it the C would go to the fuel reserve switch/reserve valve and check it out for flow. The mechanical linkage from the reserve lever goes directly to it. I believe the gaskets and filter elements are available at the Mercedes classic center in Irvine CA. I would check for fuel flow at the carb/carbs, and check for restrictions back to the tank. It is possible that the lobe that operates the fuel pump has worn down, that would be a gradual occurrence. If that is the problem the pump wont produce suction and pressure. You can check it by placing a hose on the suction side of the pump in a can of gas, then crank the vehicle. After a few seconds it should pic up fuel and pump. You can dry test it by cranking the engine and checking for suction and pressure at the pump inlet and outlet when cranking. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.
I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.