Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Oldsmobile 442: What do you have to do to make 1969 chevelle

Customer Question

What do you have to do to make 1969 chevelle hood hinges fit a 1969 cutlass
Category: Classic Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
*billet hood hinges
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.
I have worked with these vehicles a lot. The two different vehicle hinges are very different. The 1969 Chevelle hinge was a one year only design. The base of the Chevelle hinge where it bolts to the body is very long from front to back. The Cutlass is very short from front to back, and the bolt patterns are very different. Also the Cutlass hinge spring goes from the front pivot arm to the rear pivot arm. On the Chevelle the spring goes from the front arm to the rear of the base of the hinge. If you made a custom plate you could bolt to the cutlass, then drill the holes for the Chevelle bolt pattern, a Chevelle hinge could be bolted to the cutlass, but there is no guarantee that the geometry for the hood would work. Then you would have to make it bolt to the hood, and get a spring that works with the hood you use. The hinges are so different they look like two different manufacturers, like comparing a Ford to a Dodge hinge. If you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.
I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I edited the question for billet hinges not factory ones
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
I saw that, the billet hinges you have if they are specific the the 69 Chevelle, everything I previously said applies. It isn't that they absolutely cant be installed, it is that it might take 20 to 40 hours and be obscenely expensive is my warning. There is also no guarantee that after all of that they will work satisfactory. I do a lot of custom work, and I have a machine shop/prototype shop at my disposable, and I still wouldn't try this. Hood hinges are so finicky. They have to be perfect to allow the hood to open properly. They have to pivot without hitting the fenders, grille windshield, and more. It also has to latch, and stay open correctly, so there are a lot of potential issues to look at. It might help to look at some pics of the geometry of the hinges. link HERE is a link for a 69 Chevelle, and link HERE is a link for a 69 cutlass. The Chevelle hinge is 1969 only, the Cutlass fits 69 to 1972. Look at the base length, mounting, arms, and spring location. They pivot/rock to open the hood in a completely different way. The Cutlass hood is also heavier too, and will require a stiffer spring that fits the hood weight/shape of the hings. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.