Mike S.
Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  A.S.E. certified with 25+ years experience.
20625509

Jaguar 32 ford coupe: i have 32 ford coupe with a 1973 jaguar

Customer Question

i have 32 ford coupe with a 1973 jaguar rear xke model car leans to one side starting to rub tire at times,whats going on.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Look for a broken coil spring on that side of the rear suspension that it is leaning down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is not the problem check all springs, could springs be weak,when i hit a hard bump in road,the low side rubs rear tire,can i use spacers to make that side even. thank u
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Make sure the top of the spring didn't burst through the rusted out frame. I would jack up under the frame and allow the rear axle to hang free, then lower the rear axle down onto 2 jack stands just until the axle touches the jack stands. Remove each coil spring, look up to see if infact the coil spring did punch through a rusted out spring perch and if not set the 2 coil springs side by side and compare them to each other to see if one is now shorter than the other and if nothing found wrong, swap the coil springs side to side and then reattach everything and lower to the ground and see if now the other side leans. If so, then yes the coil spring is weak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey mike checked all the above no rust issues,i switched side to side springs ,still leans to the right side maybe a inch,I've been told i could shim that side up to match the right hight,can i do this.thanks bob
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
When did you do all of this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just this past week,i bought this street rod last year,not knowing it had this problem since i did not drive the car all that much,i started to hear rubbing sound,,to find out its the left rear tire thats rubbing,if you would like to talk to me my number is(###) ###-####I'm 68 years old prefer to talk then write,i hope you understand ha ha bob
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I don't have phone call setup.
If you swapped the coil springs and it still does it, then there has to be something damaged or bent and I assume it's with the old frame or spring perch.
You could try a shim but I don't know where to purchase it at or even who makes it.