Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

I have a 1950 Chevrolet styleline deluxe 216 ci standard

Customer Question

I have a 1950 Chevrolet styleline deluxe 216 ci standard 3speed. I would like to know the best way to change my gear ratio.I understand a s10 rear end will fit! Or enthralled gear and change it.I have never changed the gear in a rear end before.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
If you have never changed the gears before, I wouldn't attempt in then, plus you would need a dial indicator.
Have you changed a rear axle before? Have you priced them and/or found any that will fit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have helped Chang a couple of rear ends before. I can get a used one for 125 dollars.I don't know if I would need a 6 or 4 cylinder ? I would assume a 4 would be too small and I don't know what years will fit any help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
If you can get a used one for $125, then why would you be trying to figure out what fits?
Almost all of the salvage yards have access to the Hollander Interchange Manual. They probably all have yearly subscriptions and they should be able to tell you what fits.
I, on the other hand do not have access to the Hollander website.
What are you asking for diagrams, manuals or instructions to? R&R on the rear axle or changing the ring and pinion, cause you did also mention that.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Here is a 1952 "Rear Axle Overhaul" Booklet, http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/booklets/52mts12/5212mts00.htm