Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Ford Pinto: ***** ***** have a 1972 Ford Pinto wagon that's not getting

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1972 Ford Pinto wagon that's not getting gas to carb. I have blown the fuel lines, attached a pump and brought fuel from tank to filter. I have replaced filter, pump also. All new rubber hoses. Car starts up with starting fluid, but dies and no fuel is in the clear part of the filter. I'm thinking that the cam eccentric is bad, and that the pushrod is not pushing correctly. Is there a way to test to see if the cam is moving the pushrod? without tearing the engine apart?
It's a 4 cyl. 2.0 liter engine.
thanks
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 year ago.
says you changed the Fuel Pump.........
Are you sure you have the Actuator Rod movement on the Fuel Pump?
Common mistake is to insert Fuel Pump & not check Actuator Rod.
Pull the Fuel Pump & check the for damage, the Actuator Rod & movement when cranking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does not have a actuator rod, it is pushrod (slug) driven with a spring on the end of the pump. The cam eccentric should push the pushrod, pushing up on the spring and moving the diaphragm.
slug......equals push rod, as that is what Ford calls it
.
The cam eccentric should push the pushrod, pushing up on the spring and moving the diaphragm.
.
I am 67 years old, Ford Certified & have worked on many Pintos.......
I was just making a suggestion, as there is no other reason for No Fuel, except Restriction, Fuel Filter, Pump or Carb Filter (IF there is one)
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way to see if the cam is pushing the pushrod? I've used a pump to pull gas from the tank, and the gas looks clear. This car was a daily driver but sat for a couple months. Both old and new pumps show basically no pressure when I crank the engine. So I'm wondering how to see if the cam has flattened out on the lobe or is there something else that could be keeping the pushrod from moving up and down. I really want to keep the mech. fuel pump and don't want to get into the electric pump stuff. It's baffling. I was ready to drop the tank, but now after pumping some out see that the tank is clean. I will try to hang a fuel source and go directly to the carb. and make sure it sucks. Like I said, the engine roars when I put starter fluid in it, but won't suck gas to the carb.
Pull the Fuel Pump & check the for damage, the Actuator Rod & movement when cranking by hand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I move the crank by hand? Is it possible for one guy to do it alone? The rod itself is clean and not damaged, I have a new one as well if need to replace the old one.
IF you cannot turn the crank / belt by hand, pull the Spark Plugs & it should be pretty easy to turn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try that tomorrow, and if there is no movement then it might be the camshaft? Is that a major tear down?
Thanks.
.
yes, basically if the cam is the issue