Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Packard clipper Sedan: How to remove rear ended axle

Customer Question

How to remove rear ended axle for a 1947 packard
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.
You need to get the axles out and remove the carrier to find the problem. The drums pull off of the axle, then the axles come out with a slide hammer, or puller. Then the carrier comes out. At that point you will probably be able to spot the problem. Many of the parts for this rear end are VERY hard to find, so be careful. I know by experience it is easy to tear something up that is stuck on a vehicle this old, and these old rear ends can be a real challenge in that way. I want to post a link PACKARD REAR END MANUAL HERE for the factory Packard rear end rebuilding/repair manual, it should really be a big help. It has a lot of details on this setup. It is 40 pages, and is in PDF format. If you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.
I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.