Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Chevrolet el camino: 1972 chevy 350 wont start neg terminal

Customer Question

1972 chevy 350 wont start neg terminal heats up cleaned connections
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.
I am an electrical specialist and I will try to help. Many times a problem like this is something that is assumed to be good, so suspect everything. But check everything out to actually spot the problem. Otherwise you can overlook a problem, and waste a lot of cash and time. A terminal that heats up normally means a bad connection. The hot terminal problem can be between where the terminal contacts the battery, or where the cable contacts the terminal. If you have that solved you need to check out a few other things. You need to be absolutely sure the battery is good, a load test is the only way to check that out. Most auto parts stores can do that. You also need to check the amperage draw that the starter is pulling. If the amp draw is too high, and the engine isn't stuck the starter has problems. Anything over 250 amps is a problem. If you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.
I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.