Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Chrysler C49: I have a 1950 Chrysler straight eight that lopes

Customer Question

I have a 1950 Chrysler straight eight that lopes . The engine only has About 300 hours on it. It hasn't run for about eighteen months while I located a tranny. On start up, it will idle but about one thousand rpm it lopes severely.wtf?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.
I would go over the tune up adjustments, and clean the points. Take a compression test when the plugs are out for inspection. Odds are something has happened in one of these areas. The carb might be a part of the problem. It was 50 or 51 when Carter on this type carb came out with the automatic choke, make sure that is working and isn't stuck. Check the dashpot that pulls the choke open a little as the engine starts. Check for vacuum leaks, and readjust the idle fuel mixture. That should allow you to find the problem. First I would probably clean/adjust the points, visually check it out, then look at the choke, and adjust the idle mixture. If that doesn't do it get into the other things I suggested. If you have any more questions, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.
I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.