Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Chevrolet K-10 pickup: I have rebuilt a Chevy turbo 350, 1978

Customer Question

I have rebuilt a Chevy turbo 350, 1978 . After installation , I have to bring RPM's up to feel forward and reverse, still seems to slip. At the same time, it pushes oil out the vent. What should I look at.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.
This kind of problem is always tough, we call them yoyo's because they keep going in and coming back out. I know how bad it can get, maybe I can help. Through the years I have had a few TH350's dump ATF out of the vent after rebuilding. Normally it is a pump gasket being in wrong, or wrong gasket. Or pump cavitation/foaming bubbling up the fluid. I would try a new or known good pump, and quality gasket. A dirt dober wasp or other debris in a passage can do this. The down side it it has to come back out to do any of this. If you have any more questions, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.
I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.