Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Oldsmobile: i have a 1939 olds f39 60 series business coupe

Customer Question

i have a 1939 olds f39 60 series business coupe 3 on the tree .
i am looking for a nos or rebuilt trans . i have been all over the internet looking.
will a chevy or buick or pontiac fit.
***@******.***
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. This model was a one year production transmission. I believe the one year issue was possibly a bearing/bushing arrangement. Because the age factors in too, finding a rebuilt or NOS is a daunting task, just this side of impossible. Starting about in the mid 60's and back most transmissions are real tough to find. If you want to search for a complete unit I would place an add in Hemmings Motor News, it is pretty inexpensive considering the circulation. Hemmings is the publication the whole world used to sell and buy hard to find classic/antique car parts. Normally for a transmission this old you need to locate someone who can rebuild it, and get a list of parts, then seek out the parts. Gathering the parts can be tough. Hemmings is a good source for that too. If you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.