Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

My 61 dodge lancer starts right up and idles smooth, but just

Customer Question

My 61 dodge lancer starts right up and idles smooth, but just dies when put in gear. Put a new distributed, points etc. no help. Thank you for listening. Any suggestion. Just rebuilt it and ran fine for a while. Also new timing chain .
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Is this the original engine with the 1 bbl carb?
If so, which engine, the 2.8l or 3.7l?
What is the idle rpm at idle?
What is the ignition timing at idle?
What is the point gap/dwell?
What is the aprk plug gap?
How many inches of vacuum are there at idle?
Is the engine cold or warm when the engine dies? If warm, is the choke fully open?
If cold, will it also die when warm?
Make sure the carb isn't flooding. Look down the carb air horn using a mirror and flashlight, so it don't backfire in your face and see if any gas is dripping on the throttle plate.
Then check for a too lean condition. While the engine is idling in park or neutral, cover the air horn with a rag or close the choke about 1/2 way and listen if the rpm improves or goes up. If it does, it's running too lean, try turning the air/fuel mixture screw out 1/2 turn and test it again.