George H.
George H., Technician
Experience:  Old enough to have worked on them when they were new
13574682

I have a 1969 chevelle. I have brake lights on the drivers

Customer Question

I have a 1969 chevelle. I have brake lights on the drivers side of the car. But not on the passenger side. I have signals and the flashers work on both sides in back. The brake light plug I tested it with a testing light. The Orange wire has power and the white doesn't. I tried a new brake stop switch and nothing. Is the white wire in the plug a ground or should that have power? I changed the fuse and the bulb on that side . Can you help me.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
The white wire at the brake switch should go hot when the pedal is pressed, for testing bypass the switch at the connector with a paperclip in the connector. Don't let the paperclip hit metal.
The brake signal runs though the turn switch and you can try cycling the hazard warning switch a few times to see if that cleans the contacts but if it does not you need to replace the turn switch.
The fact the turn signals work tell you that the bulbs and sockets and grounds are good at the rear, the fact that one brake light works tells you that the switch is working. Your failure point is in the turn switch as the turn signals use the same wiring from the switch that the brake light signal does.
Cycle the hazards a few times and see if the brake light comes back.
Let me know how I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did exactly what you told me to do. And the brake lights work perfect . You are a genius. I thought this week end I was going to miss all the car shows with my car. Thanks.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Not a genius just been there before. I doubt it will keep working long, lots of videos on utube that show changing the turn switch if you have not done it before. New switch is $45 - $80 depending on if it is a tilt column.
Let me know how I can help
Thank you