Mike S.
Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  A.S.E. certified with 25+ years experience.
20625509

Cadillac Series 62: I have a 1950 Cadillac series 62 with turn

Customer Question

I have a 1950 Cadillac series 62 with turn sigma issues. When you apply the lever both dash lights flash. If I apply a jumper from the wire that joins the two bulbs, the indicator lights do work right. So I think it's a ground issue. How can I figure that out?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
You can check for a poor ground by using a voltmeter to check voltage drop. Place the positive test lead on the ground side of whatever you are testing and place the negative test lead on a good metal ground or better yet the negative battery post if it will reach. Then power the device being tested and read the voltage drop across the ground circuit by reading the voltmeter. Any voltage reading on the voltmeter is the voltage being lost (voltage drop) on the ground circuit, so technically the volt reading should be no more than 0.2 volts. If it reads any more than that the ground is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that but where are all the grounds? That is the issue I am having
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
You don't have to know where the ground is for now, just to check it. If you knew how to test for a voltage drop, why haven't you tested already?
First of all I think you had batter reread your original question and correct some things. I don't know what "turn sigma" means, but I assume you meant "turn signal".
Another thing, you said "when you apply the lever". What lever? The turn signal? If so, are you turning it for right or left turns?
Dash lights for what? The turn signal indicators?
If I apply a jumper from the wire that joins the two bulbs. What 2 bulbs? How are you hooking up this jumper? From what to what? Is this jumper hot?
I doubt if any repair manual for a 1950 is going to tell me or you where the grounds are.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I see you did say jumper to ground. Are you talking about jumping from the instrument cluster turn signal indicators to ground?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You don't need to be rude.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I am not being rude. Show me what I said that was rude.
I am just trying to understand exactly what you are talking about.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I understand the spell checker doesn't always work. In fact, it isn't working for me right now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I applied a jumper between the two indicator bulbs in the dash at the problem goes away otherwise both indicator lights flash at the same time
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Are you talking about the turn signal indicators bulbs?
Are you saying you jumped these bulbs to ground?
Are you saying that when you put the turn signal on right or left turn both sides flash? Do the exterior bulbs also both flash when you do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the two indicator bulbs when I don't ground it only the rear lights flash
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a wiring diagram for that.
I would suspect the instrument cluster is grounded somewhere under that dash, but I don't know where.
I suspect I am not going to be of much help since none of my repair manuals go back this far for wiring.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Instead of me waisting more of your time, I'll just opt out and open this question back up.