Lou P.
Lou P., Technician
Experience:  I currently own a 1969 and 1972 CAMARO and have 15+ years of training and knowledge!!!!
27644750

Chevrolet K30 4x4: I have a 1970 Chevy K30 with a 350 with

Customer Question

I have a 1970 Chevy K30 with a 350 with HEI distributor. I bought the truck 2 years ago. Been running like a champ. A few weeks ago had to have a shop replace the clutch as I don't have a garage or means to deal with the heavy tranny. Guys at the shop said they had to remove the dist cap for clearance to jack the engine slightly. They also said the put a spacer in the starter cause they thought it was engaging too far. Thats the back ground on what happened between last time it ran good and now.
Any way we got it back and it ran rough then stalled on my son. Got it running and home. Found the PCV hanging so put it back in, Drove it around with no real problem except seemed a little sluggish. My son drove it later that evening. He said he heard something "pop", it stalled and now wont start. We replaced all plugs, wires and the distributor as the mech advance was rusty and worn, HEI brush was gone so replace it all, new coil, cap and rotor. It has spark and tried to fire barely after dist replaced. Fuel seems good up to carb. Any suggestions?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing less.ok let's start with the basics. Timing is correct ? Have you tried to run the truck off of starting fluid.? How many miles on the truck. ? When it cranks does it sound healthy like its pumping air or crank smooth like low or weak compression. ? Have you verified the rotor moves when the crank moves ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Timing is correct. Rolled engine to #1 TDC by hand, timing ***** *****ned up with TDC when piston reached top (verified with screwdriver). rotor moves fine. Tried starting fluid and moving dist after new replacement. Sounded like it wanted to fire but didn't. Compression feels ok when rolling by hand. Very hard with plugs in. Don't have compression tester. Timing chain? also bee reading if cam was replaced this might change firing order or timing?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Firing order change is only on a race engine. So no worries there. With starting fluid did it backfire or try to run?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried to run.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Ok that's a sign the ignition is working for the most part. Do you have a timing light to check timing and also when you press the accelerator do you see fuel squirt in the carb ? I also suggest removing all plugs and making sure they are clean and dry and re installing. If it doesn't fire and plugs are dry means no fuel. If it doesn't fire and plugs are wet that is a good sign of fuel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have timing light. Since it won't fire check while cranking? Never tried that before. Also noticed electric choke on Edlebrock 1406 is really hot and choke solidly closed. Can't move butterfly by hand at all.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
ok butterfly will only move by hand once throttle is pressed, there are steps on the throttle bracket that stop the butterfly from opening. as for the choke, it is wired for key on power so it will get hot as long as the key is on. and yes i use a timing light to make sure timing is set while cranking and vacuum line is removed from distributor if yours has one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Choke was frozen. Fixed it and fired right up.
We are done
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Nice. If you feel I was helpful please rate my service. If you need any assistance in the future I am here to help. Happy Mother's Day to whom it may concern lol. Take care. Lou.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not helpful. Waste of my time
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Wow. That is harsh. I did my best with the information that was available. Also spent time trying to assist with what I could. Sorry in wasted your time. You can process your own refund by following the customer service links. I do not get paid until a customer accepts a answer , and if you check my posts you will see i go to great lengths to assist. Apparently you don't give us the benefit of not seeing the vehicle up close and rely on your information to come to a conclusion. Take care.