Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

FORD THUNDERBIRD: MY 66 TBIRD CONVT. DECK STUCK OPEN. BUT

Customer Question

MY 66 TBIRD CONVT. DECK STUCK OPEN. BUT WOULD CLOSE IF I WAS PUTTING THE TOP UP. WOULD NOT CLOSE ON THE TOP ONCE IN THE TRUNK. REPLACE THE DECK CLOSE LID RELAY AND NOW IT WON'T COME DOWN EVEN WHEN I PUT THE TOP UP. history, i replaced the alternator, voltage regulator blew and had some smoke coming off the components in the trunk, left with half the deck close circuit working, and now no closing at all as mentioned after replacing the deck close relay. **UPDATE:** I  decided to put the old Deck Close Relay back in. The Deck comes down on the "top up" cycle". Now the lid will not close only after the top comes down into the trunk. So it is back to square one. It appears the blown voltage regulator did no damage other than to one component that allows the deck lid to come down after the top is down. Would like to confirm what that component would be. *****while waiting for answers I got a hold of a schematic. It appears that once the top is in the trunk, the . top down switch activates the "deck down" function. This circuit is  probably where the problem lies. Thanks for trying and I am canceling the question. but I'll be back no doubt.

Category: Classic Car