jazzmaster
jazzmaster, Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

I have a 71 ford f100, 302. Ignition issue. Engine was running

Customer Question

hi I have a 71 ford f100, 302. Ignition issue. Engine was running like a dream and suddenly cut out on me and wouldn't start. Identified it as ignition issue - replaced coil. Started up, ran for about 30 secs, and cut off again - can't restart. What should I look for next?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, does it have spark ?
will it start and run a few on carb cleaner ?
how many miles on the motor ?
does this still have points in the dist ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it has points, spark there, but weak spark at coil. Brand new carb, so I haven't even tested that as a possibility. It is rebuilt w/ about 45 K on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What i don't get is why it would start and run with the new coil, but then cut out again after only 30 secs. Maybe not enough voltage to the coil?
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
what are the points set at >
did you use a dwell meter to check the degrees measurement ?-about 30 degrees dwell.it should read
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. I have not done anything with the distributor (brand new too) at all since I got the truck last week. It has been running like a dream, so I saw no reason to check it. Is it likely that the points would go suddenly out of whack and make the engine stop like that?
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
even though its brand new ,the screws that hold down the point my have been loose enough to let the points move a bit when it was running .
that is the first thing I would check ,I believe the points are set at around .17-.19 gap .
also check at the coil for 12 volts with the key on it cant hurt ..
its getting late here can we continue this tomorrow ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure, thanks - I will check the points tomorrow, as well as the coil - good night!
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you -one other thing could have happened and that is the gear on the dist shaft may have slipped -/turned a little .but that rare but it does happen talk to you tomorrow thank you ..jazzmaster ..
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am just checking back to see if I helped you .
or if you still need assistance let me know before you rate with a smiley face,,thank you ..jazzmaster
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, did I help you with this issue or do you still need assistance ?...jazzmaster