ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master Auto tech since 1972,I own a 65 mustang and have built a 57 ford race car from the bottom up
10832065

Here we go, 1964 T Bird. I have rebuilt a couple of old cars

Here we go, 1964 T Bird. I have rebuilt a couple of old cars over my lifetime, so am not a complete Dodo. This has got me and my mate buggered. I have taken the front drum assy of the spindle and taken off the lower ball joint. No probs, just two taps.The old ball joint didnt have the rubber on it (worn away?) and on inspection, the otherside has no rubber either.When I try to bolt the new ball joint in, it will not go home. The rubber stops it. The 3 bolts will not show thread at the other end. I tried it without the rubber and beautiful fit. I then tried to put the rubber in the hole on its own, and it is just too big.I have to squash it around, and it still wont sit in. Rubber back on the ball joint again....No Way. This sounds like a dumb statement, but it seems designed to not have the rubber. I have spent a whole day and a lot of swearing over this.Please help.

ASEMaster35yrs :

Where are you putting the rubber seal? The ball joint without seal goes in from the bottom and rubber goes on top of lower arm. Here is a diagram:

Full Size Image

ASEMaster35yrs :

I'm switching to Q&A format to be notified of your response.

Thank you for your excellent feedback. Thank you for using just answer.