ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master Auto tech since 1972,I own a 65 mustang and have built a 57 ford race car from the bottom up
10832065

Here we go, 1964 T Bird. I have rebuilt a couple of old cars

Here we go, 1964 T Bird. I have rebuilt a couple of old cars over my lifetime, so am not a complete Dodo. This has got me and my mate buggered. I have taken the front drum assy of the spindle and taken off the lower ball joint. No probs, just two taps.The old ball joint didnt have the rubber on it (worn away?) and on inspection, the otherside has no rubber either.When I try to bolt the new ball joint in, it will not go home. The rubber stops it. The 3 bolts will not show thread at the other end. I tried it without the rubber and beautiful fit. I then tried to put the rubber in the hole on its own, and it is just too big.I have to squash it around, and it still wont sit in. Rubber back on the ball joint again....No Way. This sounds like a dumb statement, but it seems designed to not have the rubber. I have spent a whole day and a lot of swearing over this.Please help.
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  ASEMaster35yrs replied 12 months ago.

ASEMaster35yrs :

Where are you putting the rubber seal? The ball joint without seal goes in from the bottom and rubber goes on top of lower arm. Here is a diagram:

Full Size Image

ASEMaster35yrs :

I'm switching to Q&A format to be notified of your response.

ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Experience: Master Auto tech since 1972,I own a 65 mustang and have built a 57 ford race car from the bottom up
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  ASEMaster35yrs replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your excellent feedback. Thank you for using just answer.