Mike S.
Mike S., Classic Car Mechanic
Experience:  A.S.E. certified with 25+ years experience.
20625509

Chrysler Newport: What is the correct torque for exhaust pipe

What is the correct torque for exhaust pipe flange bolts?

I just replaced the flange gaskets on both pipes that join to the exhaust manifold. I tightened them "snug" (probably 50-60 ft lb.) One of them is leaking, and not sure if it's from over- or under-tightening.

Also, if I have over-tightened, must I replace the gasket?

Are they gaskets or like donuts. 50-60 ft lbs sounds like alot to me but I will try to find a spec on that.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Flange gasket with 2 bolts -- like this one.

1966 Chrysler Newport 8 Cylinders 6.3L 2BL

tighten exhaust pipe bolts to 40 ft. lbs

I see it is a gasket type. I would remove the gasket and check it, if there are studs and nuts, run a die up each stud and clean up the treads and use new nuts, then make sure you tighten them up evenly.

Bolts? Then use new bolts.
And run a tap down through the bolt hole.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry -- what's the tap through the bolt hole for? Just to clean it out?

Yes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Then are these holes normally threaded? The bolts that were on there -- and the replacement bolts that I have -- just slip through the holes on the flange -- they're not threaded in. (I didn't notice any threads in the hole but wasn't looking for them either, since the bolt just slipped out.)

Then how did you torque them to 50 ft lbs while holding a nut, too?
I would look closely for any signs of a thread in them holes. Since they are so old, they may have been striped several times and someone could have actually decided just to drill through them and install bolts with nuts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok - will do.

Because there were no threads, it took two people to get these bolts on/off. I thought it was kind of strange to have no threads in this application, but the car is 45 years old after all.

Thank you.