ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master Auto tech since 1972,I own a 65 mustang and have built a 57 ford race car from the bottom up

Chevrolet 1964 Impala SS: My son wants to restore an old car,

My son wants to restore an old car, and both he and I are rather inexperienced at this. He found a 1964 Impala SS and is undecided whether it is worth the price. Here's the deal: Reasonably good interior, two big cracks in the dash and carpet needs to be replaced, otherwise okay, all original. Garaged for the last 23 years.
Original motor replaced with 350 (probably early 70's, it has a carbuerator), ignition unknown, probably electronic. Lots of body cancer on quarter and rocker panels (it's a Missouri car) and trunk is totally rotted out, gas tank shot but he has a new one ready to be installed. He has four junkyard doors and a truckload of various replacement parts go with it. It runs - motor seems sound. No exhaust pipe back of the headers.

Here's the question. If you were looking for a 1960's project car, would you buy this for $3,000?

ASEMaster35yrs :

$3000 is not a bad price, however if you want my honest opinion, I would not buy any car including this one that had a lot of body cancer if I was looking for a 1960's project car. A little maybe but a lot never. It is very costly to restore a vehicle that is rusted out and even when fixed, it usually comes back. Dash & carpet are easily replaced but cancer rust can and will repeat itself. You'd be better off looking for one with no rust. Just my opinion. So in answer to your question I would not buy it for a project car.

ASEMaster35yrs :

I'm switching to Q&A format to be notified of your response.

Without a doubt, the car is worth the price, but as for me, would I buy it for a project car, the answer is no.

This would be a better deal as a project car for $10,000 at this link:

The car above is numbers matching original 327 engine and 4-speed trans.

You have to think of how much you would have invested AFTER you restored it.

Thank you for your excellent feedback & bonus. Thank you for using just answer.