Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

shifting linkage

1968 C10 shifting linkage, th400 with 350. the linkage is an aftermarket linkage set and it works well, the only issue I have, with the old stock linkage as well is the sift indicator is off when I place the transmission in Park the indictor goes past the "P" on the column as shown in the 2nd photo. Not 100% how to adjust this, I think I can loosen the bolt in photo 2 and make the adjustment is that correct?

Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

It has been a few years since I have worked on one of these. From memory there is a tab/protrusion under the dash that basically keeps the column from rotating. There will typically, but not always be a little slack where the column can rotate just a bit. Loosening the clamp in pic two should allow you to rotate the column slightly to exploit and slack you have. This might allow enough room to adjust it where park will be better aligned, especially of the column is rotated clockwise of where it should really be. Beyond that to move the park position closer to where it should be you would need to lengthen the shifter rod that goes from the shift lever on the column to the shift lever on the transmission. Hopefully it is adjustable, if not straightening out a bend just a bit will effectively lengthen it. This will move the indicator closer to the park position on the column. Be sure not to adjust it where any neutral safety switch will kick in and keep it from starting. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well after taking it apart and making several adjustments I think I figured this out....

this 1968 had a manual transmission and I pulled the transmission and steering column out of a donor truck. the donor truck was a mess and I think they had the wrong column components. The selector (after disconnecting the linkage to the TH400) swings past the Park to lock and past the L1 on the shift indicator. As I remember the shift indicator on trucks from 71 and up were larger then the shift indicators on the 68 models. so I just happened to have a 1971 shift indicator and held it up and it lines up from shift to shift... so I think all I need to do is get an 71 indication retainer and it should work. What do you think?

Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

If it has mismatched parts that will sure throw a wrench to the works, trying to figure out what is going on. If it is swinging too far on both sides of the markings on the gear indicator, and the problem isn’t from wear, I bet you are correct, and you have a parts mismatch. So I would check into that. Something else is these trucks have become so popular that the steering columns have been reproduced, and are available new. They have tilt built in, and that is a nice extra. Expect to pay a little over $300 if you get a good deal on one. I am not sure if that is something that will work into your plans, still it is nice to have options, so I thought I would mention it. I will post a link HERE for a source for a new steering column. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience: I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.