Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.

Volkswagen Sand rail: Hello I have a sand rail and bought a

Hello I have a sand rail and bought a new front end for it. I am also installing new disc break kit on it. all was going good until I went to install the back thrust washer on the spindle. it wont go all the way down it stops about 1.5 inches short.

Is there 2 spindle sizes and if so do they sell a washer for it?

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

Mid year 1968 the front spindles were switched to a larger diameter spindle, so odds are you have parts for the earlier spindles, and you have the late model spindle that is larger. If you bought a kit to install the disc brakes I would get with the kit manufacturer. Other wise I would try Jbugs, MOFOCO, or "The Smaba" for the parts. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.