Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

1951 Mercury: warner OverDrive transmission..manual says..od tranny

I have 1951 Mercury with a Borg-Warner OverDrive transmission. The manual says that Hypoid gear oil can damage the OD Tranny, but where can I obtain NON-Hypoid gear oil in the SAE 80-90 range? I live in New Jersey, USA Thanks Frank cell XXX-XXX-XXXX email [email protected]
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 5 years ago.

DR. Hamman :

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

What you need is GL1, 2, 3 or 4 gear oil. The Hypoid is GL5 and up, and it will attack certain metal parts in these older transmissions. I will post a link HERE where you can buy the GL1 gear oil. It will work great in the older transmissions. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. Just Answer is here to serve you. If the answer is not clear, please let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. When you're satisfied, click on the green accept button. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Customer:

I will hit "accept" when my gear oil arrives. I ordered 3 gallons from elawngarden.com as you suggested. They took my money but I have no tracking #. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

Customer:

Dr Hammon

I need another suppler for the GL-1 Gear Oil. ELawngarden.com backed out
on me see below:

Hello Frank

Sorry to say but I MISSED this email from our supplier.
" Tim, Brian, Warehouse/shipping manager does not want to ship this item.
We have had to many problems with UPS damaging liquids. Of course it is
NEVER UPS’s fault and we lose money. Sorry for any inconvenience this may
cause. "

So I credited your account back

So sorry sir.

Tim

Customer:

I talked ELawngarden into shipping the GL-1 Gear Oil and 3 gallons just ARRIVED SAFELY a few minutes ago. Thank you Dr. Hammam. I hope you get paid now.

Customer:

Dr. Hamman

Customer:

Dr. Hamman. I was able to talk ELawngarden into shipping 3 gallons of GL-1 Gear Oil after all. They just arrrived today. I hope you can still get paid for this valuable tip and connection. Frank Loscalzo