ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master Auto tech since 1972,I own a 65 mustang and have built a 57 ford race car from the bottom up

1963 vw bug: 12 volt electrical system..voltage regulator..dash comes

I am rewiring a 1963 vw bug with the 1600 engine. It has a 12 volt electrical system and an alternator with the internal voltage regulator. How do I wire the alternator correctly so that the light on the dash comes on and the alternator charges?
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  ASEMaster35yrs replied 4 years ago.

ASEMaster35yrs :

Here is a wiring diagram to help you.

Full Size Image

ASEMaster35yrs :

See these links for pictures and excellent information:

Forum links

Info link

ASEMaster35yrs :

I'm switching to Q&A format to be notified of your response.

Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I probably should have told you the wiring harness I have is from a company called Wiring Works. It was designed for a 6 volt electrical system but can be used for a 12 volt system. I tried going by the wiring diagram you sent me but when I turn the key the alternator light on the dash still does not come on and nothing happens. The only difference between the wiring diagram and my car is the wire going from the D+ terminal to the alternator light is just blue it is not spliced with a green wire.
Since it's aftermarket, the color really doesn't matter as long as it's wired correctly. Did you go to those links I sent you? There are pictures and everything. Do you have a good ground strap going from trans to body?