ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master Auto tech since 1972,I own a 65 mustang and have built a 57 ford race car from the bottom up

Chevrolet Corvette: I have a 1961 Corvette, Fuel Injected.

Customer Question

I have a 1961 Corvette, Fuel Injected. I was told that it is not a factory fuel car. What distinguishes a factory fuel from a carbarated car. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my email [email protected] Yhank You
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  relicdigger3 replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dudley, Fuel injection didn't exist until the 1980's. If the 1961 Corvette is fuel injected it is because an aftermarket fuel injection system was installed. In other words, the Corvette didn't come from factory like this. In the 60's most vehicles came equipped with a mechanical fuel pump from factory.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
relicdigger3, I don't think you have the correct information re: the C1 solid axle Corvette. Rochester came out with a mechanical fuel injection in 1957, available on 57 Chevys, and Corvettes. Please research your information further. Thank You Dudley.
Expert:  ASEMaster35yrs replied 4 years ago.

The way you can tell is by the suffix code on the engine block pad just below the the passenger side head and by the build sheet of the vehicle with the FI engine option listed on it. To properly indentify an engine block, there are three identifiers, the engine ID on the pad I mentioned, the casting number and date code. The most informative identifier is the engine ID on the pad below passenger side head.

CS = 283-cid 315-hp V-8 with 11.0:1 compression ratio, three-speed manual transmission, high lift camshaft, and fuel injection

CR = 283-cid 275-hp V-8 with 11.0:1 compression ratio, three-speed manual transmission with fuel injection.

RPO 353

V-8 283-cid 275-hp fuel-injection engine

RPO 354

V-8 283-cid 315-hp fuel-injection engine

See: & & for more information.

The build sheet showing those option codes is the only true way to verify if the FI engine originally came with your car.

Original build sheets are normally found under passenger side seat, on top of fuel tank or in headliner.

Build sheet information

Forum link

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are there any body differences between the fuel cars and the carb cars that could be used as references? Something that cannot be altered or changed.

There is nothing that cannot be altered. The body is the same. The only difference would be the decals/emblems that could be attached later by anyone. The only real proof of originality would be the build sheet of the vehicle. Of course, the most important thing would be the engine itself with the two suffix codes CR or CS on the ID pad. Here is a picture of the original ID tag on the fuel injection plentum for 1961:

Distributor number for 275hp fuel injection

Distributor number for 315hp fuel injection

A numbers matching 1961 corvette with all the options is worth $149,000

All options are found on the build sheet.

Corvette history

For technical questions email : [email protected]

Do you need more help?

From 1960 to the present the VIN sequence number is XXXXX on the passenger side of the engine block. If your block has the CS or CR suffix and the last six of vin that matches the vin on the car, That proves it is a fuel injection corvette and is numbers matching.

Anyone telling you that you don't have the fuel injected body is probably just jealous of what you have and trying to devalue it with a con to buy it cheaper than what it is truly worth. They are basically saying your body has been replaced or the fuel injection emblems are not in the right place or missing. There is no difference in the body itself. Replacement body's are available. What makes your car what it is, is the engine itself.

Here is more information:

1961 Corvette Fuelie Show Condition Fresh Frame Off Restoration Silver/Red

Replacement body

The front of the 1961 Corvette looked like the 1958, 1959 and 1960 models. But the rear was restyled with four round tail lights, which became a Corvette trademark.

Exterior Specifications

The wheelbase of the 1961 Corvette was 102 inches. The overall length from bumper to bumper was 177.2 inches. The height from top of the roof to road was 51.6 inches and the overall width was72.8 inches. The 1961 Corvette weighed 3,035 pounds and the fuel tank held 16.4 gallons of gasoline.

The base engine was a 283-cubic-inch V-8 that had a four-barrel carburetor and an output of 230 horsepower and a compression ratio of 9.5:1. A 245-horsepower 283 engine with two four-barrel carburetors and a 9.5:1 compression ratio was available for $150.65 extra. The same setup with 270 horsepower and a high-lift camshaft cost another $182.95. Two more 283 engines with 275 or 315 horsepower and fuel injection instead of carburetors cost $484.20 extra each.

Optional Equipment

The base price of the 1961 Corvette was $3,934, but there were many options available that would drive up the price. Powerglide automatic transmission cost $199.10 extra, while a four-speed manual transmission cost $188.30 extra over the basic three-speed manual. Power windows were $59.20 extra and a signal-seeking AM radio would set you back $137.75. A power-operated convertible top cost $161.40, while a fiberglass hardtop was $236.75. Wide white-wall tires cost $31.55 more than the standard black walls. A heater was an extra $102.25. A two-tone paint treatment cost another $16.15. A Positraction limited-slip differential was $43.05. Heavy duty brakes and suspension cost $333.60 extra.

ASEMaster35yrs, Master Auto Tech
Experience: Master Auto tech since 1972,I own a 65 mustang and have built a 57 ford race car from the bottom up
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Being as no one has come up with what I researched as of today, I will pass on some info as to what I have found. On a carb corvette, the tach is driven by the generator, the cable runs from the generator through a hole in the firewall that is located on the passenger side near the heater core. This hole does not appear in the fuel car. In the fuel car, the tach is driven by the distributor. Directly behind the distributor is a hole that is oblong and is about 2-1/2 in by 1-1/2 in. This hole does not appear in the carb car. Also, on the fuel car, the windshield washer bottle is on the passengers side inner front fender as apposed to the drivers front fender on the carb car, and the holes for mounting were drilled accordingly. The reason for the change in location was to make room for the mounting of the fuel injection air cleaner intake box. Thank you for your info, and I hope my info is beneficial to you as well. Dudley
Thank you for that information.

Only Early corvettes up to early 1961 without Fuel Injection had tachs driven off of the generator. Late 61 and later were driven off distributor.

The hole in the center of the firewall is for distributor driven tach cable which goes with the rest of the evidence of fuelie origin on early 57-61 models.

Fuel cars has the washer bottle assembly moved from driver side to passenger side to accommodate the FI Air Cleaner. Do you have an air cleaner on yours? Someone could decide they don't want a washer or drill holes and move it. They can also install a different type air cleaner. Traffic accidents & repairs by body shops can remove bent original parts and replace with junk yard or aftermarket parts, front clips etc.

The bottom line is does the Vin on the engine match the Vin on the car?

Carb & fuel injection differences

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, and so does the vin on the frame.
The vin on the frame only verifies that it is original to the car. The only thing that verifies without a doubt that the car was originally fuel injected, is the vin on the engine matching the vin on the car with the correct suffix code of CS or CR.