Dale Stockstill
Dale Stockstill, Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  40+ years as a technical expert, especially Corvettes.
19741685

1964 Ford: Mk..starter motor..oil filter..bulge in the oil pan

Customer Question

I have a 1964 Ford Corsair Mk. 1 with the 1498cc engine,. I am trying to replace the starter motor. I have removed the oil filter but can not get the starter to go through th4e frame members and by the bulge in the oil pan. Myself and a mechanic tried for 2 hours but could not figure out the angle. Do I have to remove the engine mounts as well, or is there a way to remove the old starter and put in the new one, without the extra work as described. Thanks. --Al Stoller--
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not heard anything from your expert. Your e-mail indicated you needed more information, but there was no actual detail to your request. What more info can I help you with? There has been no further work done on the car.
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We'll be in touch again shortly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still no specific question or advice from your expert. I am aboout to give up on this service and keep trying myself, although there has to be a better way. That is what I was hoping your expert could tell me. --Al--
Expert:  Dale Stockstill replied 2 years ago.

Dear Al,

I have tried to get your question to one of our experts that lives in Canada and that probably has the information in his data base to help you. Generally speaking, when I have run into a situation like you have (cannot slip the starter out) I have taken the anchor horizontal bolt out of the motor mounts and used a floor jack to roll the engine one way or the other to get enough clearance to slip the starter out.

If you can tell me what the Ford Caorsair would cross over to in a US model I will be happy to try and help you.

I am very sorry you have had to wait for someone to help you. If you figured out a way to get it out, let me wish you the very Best with the reassembly.

Happy New Year!

Sincerely,

Dale

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dale, Thanks. I will try your suggestion and get a friend to help on that. As for a U.S. equivalent, the corsair was a British ford Cortina that was modified to look like a Ford Thunderbird of that period. There is no known U.S. Equal to the Corsair. The Corsair was not a popular car and there are very few of them left world wide. Thanks and Happy new year. --Al--

Thanks for your reply Al,

Here are a couple of sites that might interest you. It will not tell you how to get the starter out but it does provide some history of the car.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Corsair

and www.qwika.com/find/Ford_Ranger?int=40

Of course I am not familiar with where the starter is (generally back by the bell housing and pointing forward) but if you still have problems try to explain some of the details about how and where the starter is mounted and the item or items that seem to be in the way of removing the starter.

Happy New Year,

Sincerely,

Dale

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dale, A friend of mine wondered if the idea of twisting the engine using a jack could damage the Torque Converter. There has to be a better way, so he says. Seems silly to me that you have to do all this to change a starter motor. The car is a right hand drive and the starter is on the right side of the car as well. Any thoughts? --Al--

Well Al,

I do not know who your friend is but the torque converter is housed in the bell housing and is not affected one way or the other with the rolling of the engine. I am not there to look at the situation but when I have run into EXTREME cases where I could not get the starter motor out I either had to roll the engine a few degrees to get the starter motor to clear the frame or I ended up removing the exhaust manifold. I have no idea if this is a in line engine or a transverse engine that sit side ways in the front of the car. So I am just telling you from experience what I have had to do from time to time. Most starters come right off (no big deal) but evidently from what you are telling me this starter is buried where you either cannot get to it or cannot find a path to remove it.

Does you friend have any suggestions of his own? The advice I am giving you comes from over 50 years of experience. Here is my only other suggestion. I researched and found 1 shop manual for your car. See Below: http://www.books4cars.com/listings.php?findmake=Ford&model=Corsair&year=1964&type=Shop

Sincerely,

Dale

Experience: 40+ years as a technical expert, especially Corvettes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dale, Thanks for your help. The car is going in to a garage as we found that the right front wheel has to be supported when removing the starter to give the gap in the frame and suspension unit needed to remove it. Thanks so much for the lead on the Service manual. I have bought that book from your source and it should be here shortly. The engine is going to have to be moved exactly as you suggested, but I do not have the facilities to do this. Great talking to you and thanks a million once again. --Al--

That is just GREAT Al,

Nothing pleases me more (even lots of $$) than to hear that I have been able to help someone get out of a jamb and/or save some money by having the initiative to try and do there repairs themselves. I have many guys that have families and just cannot afford to take there vehicle to a shop. But when they demonstrate to me that they are willing to follow my directions (not that I know everything) many times I am able to use my knowledge and experience to help their family have reliable transportation. Many of these type customers cannot even afford to pay me and THAT'S OK! This is my way of giving back to the industry as a whole. I do not just do this for the money and I think that one reason I get so many customers requesting me.

I hope the Manual helps.

Have a Blessed & Happy New Year,

Sincerely,

Dale

PS- If you would like to contact me directly in the future, just go to: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=19741685&FID=0

You can save this address or bookmark it into you computer for future reference. Please use my name "Dale" in the question line so the question will come directly to me.