Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
9795573

Jeep (willy) Panel truck I have a 1948 jeep panel truck, no

I have a 1948 jeep panel truck, no engine or tranny. A Jeep Liberty has almost the exact wheel base, etc. Can I put a Jeep Liberty engine, tranny, and rear end on this 48 panel truck frame?
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

The main thing to look at with this model is the engine compartment, it is fairly small. The main limitations are the height and the width. On this model these considerations are much more important that the wheel base. Besides adapting a Jeep Liberty drive train would be real tough because of the complex electronics. The best fit, is the Buick V6, there is a lot of parts made for this swap. Jeep actually used the Buick V6 in production in the 60's. I have a link I want to give to you, it is for a place called Novak. They specialize in Jeep engine swap pieces, adapters, and specialty parts needed for custom engine installations. They have tons of information about what fits and what doesn’t fit. They also sell tons of special parts to install custom engines into Jeep products. I will post a link for Novak HERE. The liberty drive train could be transplanted into your 48 Jeep, but there are a lot of better choices. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. Just Answer is here to serve you. If the answer is not clear, please let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. When you're satisfied, click on the green accept button. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.