Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.

57 chevy: generator, both battery cables, dist..cap, rotor, coil..carb

Customer Question

I have a 283 2bl 57 chevy that will not start. I have replaced ther starter, battery, generator, both battery cables, dist. cap, rotor, coil and all of the sprak wires and coil wire, had the carb. rebuilde, replacede the fuel filter and clened the fuel bowl and replaced the fuel pump. Before I had the carb. rebuild done I could get it started by injecting fuel into the carb. The care run for 8 miles and die. Than I replace most of the items in the electrical systems. But irt still will not fire. Any ideals?
Bill Salzbrener XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Classic Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

Bill, these old cars can beat you up sometimes. What I would do is to clean and adjust the points. If they are even a little dirty it can keep it from starting. Then I would double check the wires and make sure the spark plug wires are all set up on the right cylinder. The firing order is 18436572 check out the link HERE that shows you how to set it up. Even if you are sure there is no problem with the firing order. Pros learn to check and check again, when it comes to the firing order. You could also have it 180 degrees out, where it is set up on the exhaust stroke, in stead of the compression stroke like it should be. Then check the spark, it should be hot and blue. Also check the fuel pressure with a gauge. If you don’t have a gauge, put the end of the fuel line off of the carburetor in a container and crank it and see if it is pumping like it should. 15 seconds of cranking should pump a cup or two of fuel. If you have a good hot spark, and fuel, and the plug wires are set up correctly, it should fire up. After all of this if it wont start up, then you should do a compression test on it, because there might be some problem inside the engine. A compression test will also tell you if there are any timing chain problems, because the compression will be way low if you have timing chain problem. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. Just Answer is here to serve you. If the answer is not clear, please let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. When you're satisfied, click on the green accept button. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience: I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Question, I have replaced the points and was setting them by bumpimg the switch so I had had the points on the high spot of the cam and the coils is VERY hot, I can not touch it. Is thias right for the coil to been this hot?

The coil should get somewhat hot, but if it is getting excessively hot, then it might be the type of coil that needs a ballast resistor. If you hook up this type of coil without a resistor, the coil will get hot, and the points will get damaged lots of times. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.