Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years experience repairing, restoring, and customizing cars, and pickup trucks.

1963 ford galaxie 500: shifter..linkage..oem..some ford 3speed trans

i have a 1963 ford galaxie 500 has t10 toploader trans with a hurst shifter i need to change shifter and linkage to oem shifter need to know way to install shifter and adjust linkage i have work on some ford 3speed trans and i know if you move one linkage without the other linkage in the right place you have a mess with springs and snapring every where

DR. Hamman :

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

Many years ago I had one of these with a 427 in it, great car. Ok I want to start off by pointing out that the T10, and the top loader are two different transmissions. The T10 had a side cover that comes off to get to the internal gears and parts, like when you are rebuilding the transmission, and the Ford top loader has a top plate that comes off and no side plate. A picture of the top loader HERE, and a picture of a T10 HERE, to help you ID what you have. The way you align the new shifter is you make sure the transmission is in neutral when you remove the old shifter, and then install the new shifter. There is a hole that goes through the shift levers on the shifter that you put a rod or drill bit through to align them. This locks the shifter in the proper position. With the transmission in neutral adjust the shift rods where they will go into the shifter. After all the shift rods are installed remove the lock pin, ant you are ready to go. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on the green accept button. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

my trans has side plate no shifter installed when i hook up shifting arms if the other shifting arm are not in the right place will

my plate is on the side if i hook up shifting arms and the other arms are not in the right place will springs and snap rings inside trans

fly a part inside trans